Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Slip in one more pair for the doctor....

This time no Indian bashing but what I have is an anecdote which happened just 2 days back. I am a recent gym and dieting enthusiast. So far, I have managed to keep my enthusiasm in tune with my sincere attempt at work outs and the efforts have exhausted my stock of socks which bear the brunt of all the efforts. So, after a tiring work out on my way back, I thought of getting myself a pair of socks to replenish the worn out ones.  There is this shop "Gill Sports",which I have passed by a thousand times but made the effort of entering only now when the need arose.
 Walking in,spotting a bored Indian salesman, I went about asking in Hindi - white socks hain aapke paas? ( Do you have white socks for sale?).
 There was an instant glow like you see when you switch on a night lamp in a dark room on his face and pat came the reply - haan ji... 10$ ke teen hain... Aap batiye kitne chahiye? ( Sure we have, 3 for 10$ ... How many would you like to have? ) He could have just shown me where the socks were and not spoken a word since it was all written on the display board but I guess he didnt want to miss an opportunity to speak a few lines of his native language with a man from his own country. I scrutinised with the eyes of Sherlock Holmes, as if there were unknown holes or run in every sock in the shop which only my eyes could see ( sorry an Indian trait..  but true), and finally decided upon buying 2 pairs of white and one of black.
A last minute conversation while I made my payment made me ask, " Toh aap Punjab se hain?"( So are you from Punjab?) A glee of happiness at not just being identified and spoken by an Indian in Hindi but also being spotted rightly the state from where he came from,made him break into a quick conversation with me.
 He immediately replied in the unmitakable punjabi hindi accent " Haanji punjab se...aap engineer ke teacher? ( Yes sir from Punjab! Are you an engineer or a teacher?)
 I replied - main doctor hoon ,pehle Chandigarh mein tha ( I am a doctor, have worked in Chandigarh earlier)
Shopkeeper - achcha achcha... Kis cheez ke ji? ( ok ok ... Whats your speciality?)
Me- Main naak kaan gale ka doctor hoon ( I am an ENT Surgeon )
The next part is typical of anyone who meets a doctor
Shopkeeper- oh ho ....hamaare malik Gill saab ...unhe naak ki toh problem bdi rehti hai. (My shop owner Mr. Gill always has some nasal problem)
Trying to act good hearted and tuned over the years to replying to such conversations
" Leke aayiga ga kabhi, check kar lenge" ( Get him to the hospital sometime, will check him up )
I pay the 10$ and am about to walk off when he instructs quickly to another salesman. "Oye chhotey, ek aur daal de doc saab ke liye" ( hey friend, just slip in one more pair for the doctor ...)
Feeling elated, I walk off after thanking him...was it me being Indian, a doctor or the fact that I had worked in his state?...I wonder... but the smile doesnt go off my face for long...


3 comments:

  1. Good writing man!
    Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course the salesman is elated when he hears Hindi!! You got lucky with an xtra pair ;)

    ReplyDelete